Friday, October 2, 2015

Cycle 1--done!

I practically sprinted out of the hospital yesterday around 11am after I was officially discharged. Spending four days in a hospital receiving chemotherapy without a breath of fresh air was quite a feat. However, I did it and I’m done with cycle one! Wahoo!


As Erin described in his blog post earlier this week, day one was an extremely long day for me. There were some unexpected hiccups along the way on Monday, which meant chemo wasn’t administered until nighttime. That resulted in nightly chemo for the rest of the week and leaving the hospital a day later than I had planned. Fortunately, the hiccup wasn’t serious and getting the port to function properly was a minor issue, but a major delay. In some ways sleeping through the chemo was a good thing because with eyes closed, I could imagine the drugs coursing through my veins and me pointing them in the right direction, so to speak. However, the downside is that I was woken up quite a bit for any number of reasons, so I had little restful sleep the entire week. Cycle 2 will hopefully begin earlier in the day because on day one I’ll already be set with my port and there won’t be a bone scan. But you never know…



All in all, I think I fared pretty well this week. I had the pleasure of experiencing both ends of the digestive spectrum, loss of appetite, lower blood counts by day three, and fatigue.  Though I’m not sure how much of the fatigue was due to loss of sleep and how much was from the chemo itself. It’s certainly nice to be home so that I can sleep through the night without interruption and overall take it easy without being attached to an IV pole dripping fluids in my body 24 hours/day. This IV kept me hydrated in addition to my Nalgene, which I filled with water diligently. I’m not sure the nurses had ever had a patient who created their own “Pee Tally” before, but I did. For exercise I was able to walk the “loop,” which is a short lap around the oncology unit.  It was not that impressive, but it was all I had, as they do not let patients receiving chemotherapy leave the floor. On the opposite end of the chemo floor is the birthing unit, which was actually pretty neat. Every time a baby was born they played a short lullaby over the intercom. It was nice to think about the start of a new life beginning on the other side of the walls--a stark contrast of where I stood in the oncology unit.


Today, technically the final day of this cycle, I will receive a neutrophil shot at the doctor’s office that will help make more white blood cells and protect against infection. Speaking of blood counts, I want to take a moment to explain them because they are really important to my overall health during this process. One of the chemotherapy brochures I've collected explains bone marrow suppression:

Your body produces three main types of blood cells. These are made in the bone marrow and travel throughout your body in your blood stream. These blood cells are: white blood cells (WBCs), red blood cells (RBCs), and platelets. 

WBCs fight infection. There are several types of WBCs, but the first line of defense in fighting is the neutrophil. RBCs carry oxygen to all body tissues and take away carbon dioxide. Platelets help blood to clot to prevent bleeding. Most chemo destroys some blood cells and decreases the production of new cells. Your blood counts will be monitored closely during treatment by a blood test called a CBC (complete blood count).
 
In between cycles, my CBC will be monitored weekly by my local oncologist to be ensure my blood counts are in the normal range.

Hard to explain how nice it is to be home again. Dean, Alex, and I read by the fireplace together this morning, one of my favorite rituals. I received a very sweet, yet funny note from Alex during my hospital stay, which you can view below. As you can tell, he seems to understand my needs pretty well.




I am proud of how well my boys are doing despite the circumstances. They are so resilient, so young, so innocent. I believe Erin and I have done a good job of educating them just enough to know what’s going on with mom, but not so much that they are worried about me. I want to publicly thank Erin for being so amazing. He stands up tall as a dad in a tough situation to support his children and at the same time he rises to the occasion as a husband to support his wife. And not to mention all of his responsibilities when he goes to work to support our family financially. It’s not easy by any stretch of the imagination. This is true love.

Love,
Sareana